Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Kaleidoscope quilt top - finish #2

In January 2012 I started working on a kaleidoscope quilt. It was based on Elizabeth's Kaleidoscope QAL but somehow just didn't progress. Fast forward a year and a half: my son got married, so I decided to enlarge the quilt, and last night I finished the top, at last!


It's a windy day in Haifa



I must admit this quilt took so long for a reason: I discovered i really don't like working with templates. Elizabeth's instructions were excellent, but templates are not my forte. Matching all the points was also a big challenge and I think next time I'll try paper piecing - something I still have to learn.





I also discovered that i don't have enough light fabrics (aka "low volume"), so fabric selection was a challenge. I used only fabrics from my stash, some of the fabrics are:





SD Quilts Collection by Denise Schmidt
Just Wing It! by MoMo for Moda
It's a Hoot by MoMo for Moda
"mocca" in blue by Alexander Henry
Jandango by Kate Spain for Moda
Indigo by Alice Kennedy
Sugar and Spice for Riley Blake
NYC Subway

and many others, more than 20 fabrics
I really struggled with this quilt - creatively and technically - but I'm very happy how it turned out!







I'm linking to Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story, WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
and to Show and Tell Tuesday at I have to say
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced        Fresh Poppy DesignIMG_6373

Thanks for stopping by,
Noga



10 comments:

  1. I think your quilt top turned out beautiful. I also have a different kaleidoscope quilt half pieced sitting at home. I've struggled with finishing it as well. You might have just inspired me to get it back out and get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I have been itching to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kaleidoscope is one of my favorite quilt patterns. Yours is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is really beautiful. It was worth the wait to get it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is absolutely beautiful!! Just lovely!

    I am stopping by from the WIP hop, hop on by if you can http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/07/wip-wednesday-july-3rd-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This looks amazing! I'm impressed you stuck with it and finished it. When I have a hard time with a project it falls through the cracks and it will take me years to finish it. You did an amazing job. came over through Quilt Story

    ReplyDelete